Friday, January 08, 2010

what was, what is...

What it was: (Storm Cloud Shawlette. This pattern did nothing for this yarn - a beautiful merino-silk-sequin concoction I bought in Kitchener, and promptly lost the ball band for. Susan - you were with me - any idea where I got this?)

What it became:
(Actually, much richer shades of grey and charcoal, and the sequins really pop against it)

What the new plan was: 198 yds. of Heaven. great little lacy shawlette - super easy lace pattern, perfect for this yarn.
What it became:

How it looks:

(I used my star filter to really show how the sequins sparkle).
I love it more that I thought I would. The problem is, I'm not a sparkly sequin kind of girl. Even my husband, while admiring it, asked what I was planning on doing with it. "it's not really your style" was the gist of what he said. But he agreed that either of our mothers would be thrilled with it, or any number of my friends. I may let this percolate for awhile. I'm not really ready to give it away. I like looking at it.

11 comments:

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

Wow that is stunning. I am not a sparkly girl either but I love it!

Saren Johnson said...

That's very, very pretty. I think I have a ball of something along those same lines and didn't have a clue what to make with it.

THANKS!

Linda said...

I think it looks awesome! I just finished that pattern in Rowan Lima, a soft, braided yarn and though it gives a different look, I like that, too. Yours is more dressy - just right for the holidays. Of course, someone who is more of a 'sparkly girl" might enjoy it more often .... You'd probably get good daughter or DIL points if you gifted it. ; )

Lois B. said...

What a smart idea. If it's not working, change it. You made a lovely choice. It's really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Quite fantastic! As for the first yarn, I do have the yarn info still...I want a star filter!!!

Philosophical Karen said...

So much better than the Storm Cloud Shawlette. :)

Brendaknits said...

Lovely. Second choice is the better choice, for sure.

Liz said...

too bad you aren't a sparkly girl, cause it looks lovely in the photos...and you did say that you really like it !! I'll have to go hunt that pattern down, it's much better for this yarn than the first pattern, and you were wise to listen to the yarn

jennifer said...

Oooh - it looks even better blocked out. And having seen the sparkles in person I would agree that it is fantastic.

Sel and Poivre said...

If I was clever enough to knit such a lovely thing, and also 'not being a sparkly kind of girl, I would wear it just as it appears on the pattern - with a crisp white shirt and little or no jewelry. I'd add jeans and of course, heels!

Then lets just talk about the brilliance of using the star filter! Its the first time I've ever seen a sequined yarn shown off to such advantage - brilliant!

Carol said...

LOVE this! Shiny is ALWAYS a good thing, in my books!