Wednesday, February 08, 2012

too much...

I have a lot of yarn. I admit it. Most of it I have for a good reason (It's wool, and I love it. reason enough). I usually know where I acquired most of it, but this stymies me.

This is a huge bag of Handicrafter Cotton. (that piece of paper on top is a regular letter sized sheet for scale)I know I went on a dishcloth binge a while back, but not to this extent. I'm not sure if I bought it all, or was gifted with some of it, but whatever the reason, it's a boatload.

Since I've gotten back to the machine, I thought perhaps I could knit up some stripes for blankets. Cotton blankets for summer babies are always a good idea. While wool is always best for babies (it won't melt if it catches on fire), Cotton is not a bad alternative for ease of care. I've knitted it kind of loose (the only way the LK-150 will handle it), and once the blanket is done, will wash it in hot water and toss it in the dryer. That should tighten it up and make it perfect for a baby.
At least, that's the plan - Susan will have to tell me if it works - I'm trading a cotton blanket for all the Pink Shine she gave me (that became my Sunday sweater), as well as assorted other wools and fibres she has given me.
I hope it works out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes - that IS a boat load of Handicrafter! I envision a very spectacular blanket pour le bébé du nephew.

Brendaknits said...

If it does, let me know. What number on the carriage dial did you use?

Saren Johnson said...

That will looks very pretty once completed. Can't wait to see pictures.

TracyKM said...

I use Handicrafter at about T5-T6 on the LK150. I make a lot of a circular dishcloth that is quite pretty. I've never used it for a blanket as I think it's heavy, and tends to fade. If I were going to use it, I'd either do a circular blanket or a 1x1 tuck at about T7-T9. Neither of these would really need an edging. I love the circular blankets for using up yarn, and the circular dishcloths are always a hit. I knit about 6 at a time, using waste yarn in between them. When I'm ready, I cut the waste yarn and graft the start and end rows and voila! Quick and easy gift.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Keep us posted if the cotton works on the machine. Some summer blankets are a good idea!