Wednesday, January 25, 2012

still loving the colourwork

I'm still loving the colourwork, although in this particular case, I probably should have put more forethought into the pattern.
What I want in the end is a cardigan, with this floral motif running around the shoulders. I want it reasonably close fitting, although it will be used as more of a jacket. I just don't want it big and droopy. I did some math, and even took into account that colourwork draws in quite a bit. It's very (VERY!) snug around the shoulders right now, but cutting the steek should help with that. I would also like to add bands of colour to the front bands, increasing the amount needed on the shoulders.

One thing I need to keep kicking myself in the head about is to go easy on the colour when making charts in Excel. Three colours per row looks great on screen and admittedly looks great in the sweater (I think...), but is a real pain to knit. Can we talk tangles?? But I persevered - it was only about 24 rows, so it wasn't THAT painful...

The colours are a lovely rich mossy olive-y green, a little brighter than appears here, and a rich mustardy yellow and bright orange. (that checkerboard part you see is the steek where I will cut it open.) The neck looks larger here than it actually is, and I have vague thoughts of a turned over collar treatment.

You can tell I've really thought this through, haven't I... It's either going to be stunning or an epic fail.

6 comments:

deirdre said...

I believe you are working your way towards stunning...

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's fantastic. Definitely worth the plugging away aspect at dealing with 3 colours.

Saren Johnson said...

Looks very kewl.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see it in person!
Nancy

Brendaknits said...

Olive green. Mustard yellow. Are you knitting it for me? It is my colours.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I haven't been a fan of color work these days either. I have been avoiding knitting anything with a design of color work.