Friday, June 05, 2009

and monogamy flies out the window yet again...

The NSN* sweater was progressing quite nicely. both sleeves done, just the body to do - simple stockinette, with a wee seed stitch border - stupid proof knitting, great for TV watching, son's baseball games and other mindless pursuits.Then the end of the school year snuck up on me, and thoughts of gifts for the teachers came up. One was easy - My son did a Rocks and Minerals presentation for his gifted lass, and I was there to watch. He brought in some of my bracelets (the knitted stone ones and the Swarovski crystal ones) as examples of what you can do with rocks and minerals. The teacher absolutely fell in love with one of the crystal bracelets, so she's getting that as a thank you gift.

His regular teacher was something else - I try to stay away from "coffee mug-bath salts" type of gifts, opting usually for wine or gift card route. (we also buy books for the school library that the kids "give" to the teacher, who then turns around and gives it to the school library - a great idea.)

I see the teachers enough through the year to get a read on their likes and dislikes. But this teacher is pregnant and due in July, so wine didn't seem appropriate. (You can see where this is going, can't you? You'd think I would have clued in a bit faster, and not waited until June to do something, right?)
Meet the beginning of the Baby Surprise Jacket. Believe it or not, I've never made one of these before, and so far, it seems to be the right kind of knitting for my life right now - garter stitch, with a few decreases and increases tossed in for interest. I'm using Naturally's Magic Garden Buttons Yarns, a superwash DK weight. I don't want to give her a hand wash only sweater, and I refuse to put acrylic any where near ANY baby, so superwash or cotton was the way to go, and I loved the gender neutralness of this green.

*the sweater formerly known and the silver grey merino cardigan, has been rechristened the NSN Sweater, for Nancy and Susan's Nightmare. I'm making this sweater off the top of my head - no pattern. I cast on enough stitches for a neckline, and increased on raglan seams until it fit around the arms, then decreased the arms every 10 stitches (because 10 was easy to remember), and am now doing the body. Nancy and Susan both cringed in horror when I said there was no pattern. Nancy and Susan both like patterns. A lot. Enough that the thought of changing a pattern, let along knitting without one, makes them cringe in horror.

My mission is to change them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

0 pattern = 1 disaster
Math this knitter lives by!!!
Nancy

Carol said...

On the plus side, BSJ's knit up quick. And if you cn go it without a pattern, the more power to you. I can see how some thingsw don't really need a pattern, so long as you understand the principles thoroughly. Me, I like mindless knitting, which usually means a pattern.....

Brenda said...

I'm with you, girl. Pattern Free all the way. When working at the LYS, I used to teach a workshop called 'Look Ma! No Pattern' teaching the basics of EZ's PS.

susan said...

You have your work cut out for you! Patterns make me feel safe. No real thinking involved, just following instructions, that I can do!

Susan