The hat for my son is finished! He's happy with it, and I love it. It fits, which is important, and it matches his grey jacket, which doesn't interest him in the least.
It's the Knit Picks Chullo Hat kit, and I switched out the blues for greens. (I didn't actually get to switch the colours, I just bought three shades of green and kept the blues for something else...)
I also charted out my own pattern for the earflaps - the boy wanted skulls, not llamas.
This is a great pattern - you are not limited to a specific colourwork pattern - it gives you options. There are small patterns, and large, and you can pick from an assortment to personalize each hat differently. Additionally, I have enough yarn left from the kit for at least 3-4 more hats, depending on how I distribute the colours. I could do more colourwork, or stripes, or solids... The shape of the hat is the basis. (Although if not doing colourwork, I think I'd reduce the total number of stitches, since it would stretch more. Colourwork tends to hold the size a bit better.)