Wednesday, October 12, 2011

startng the Christmas stuff...

I've changed my whole outlook on Christmas lately. Instead of trying to force that hand made stuff on family, and getting shot down all the time, I just don't bother anymore. I keep the effort for those that are appreciative. People like my husband, son, Mom, Father and Mother in Law, and some friends.
My boss is one of those people. He loves the handknit socks I gave him last spring, and even told me as we were carpooling last week, that I "could sit in the back to knit if I wanted to keep his Christmas gift a surprise". We discussed it a bit, and he said socks would be good, or he could use a scarf to go with his black leather jacket. Sold.
Digging around the stash brought me this:

It's some unknown yarn I've had forever, lost the tag on, but always wanted to knit with. It's about a DK weight - heavier than regular sock yarn, but not quite worsted.

I tried a few patterns out - slip stitch patterns, linen stitch, since I find them the best with variegated yarns. However, I got a few inches in, weighed what I knit, and what was left, did a little math to see how long the scarf would be and, well, it won't be long enough. Rip. Try striping it with some Red Cascade (Did I mention my boss requested red?), but the weights were just different enough to make it not quite right. I tried it with some black silk, but the black overpowered the red and grey.

Then while doing laundry, I looked up and saw it. My loom. I could use the Red Cascade as the warp, and the variegated as the weft.

I think it's going to work.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that is perfect! It does work and it's very manly. If we were closer, you could use my fringer for the ends.

Saren Johnson said...

Very kewl! Those colors were made for each other.

Sel and Poivre said...

You are so good knitting for others...My loved ones have to pester to get me to even consider making anything even for them. Its all me all the time because I have just been burned too many times by unappreciative recipients.

Acorn to Oak said...

I didn't know you were a weaver too! It's looking great! Thanks for reminding me that Christmas is on it's way...I need to decide whether I'm going to bother making handmade gifts or not too.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!!
Nancy

Brendaknits said...

OMG - It's gorgeous. And faster?? than knitting??
Kroy has a new sock yarn in colours almost like your variegated.

Needles said...

I LIKE that. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

As to Alpaca, you just keep right on squishing its deliciousness. It will come to you. Its a really lovely thing to work with.

Carol said...

'I think it's going to work' indeed. Pish. OF COURSE it's going to work. It's lovely

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Oh wow! That is going to be a stunning scarf! Where do I get a loom? They expensive? Easy to use?