Tuesday, April 13, 2010

hem? done. sleeves? started

I've hemmed the Rowan sweater, and I steamed it a bit to even it out and lay it flat. I love the way it looks - nice and finished.

Even the inside looks good.I've started the sleeves as well. Because my armhole length was larger than the pattern said. (I will say that I kind of like the pattern. I think a newer knitter would have some issues with some of the assumptions that are made and not really described. But I digress...) I picked up the stitches on both armholes to ensure that I had the same number of stitches in the same places - this is important because of the short row shaping that occurs - you want the increases to be the same for both sleeves.I do love how the short rowing allows a set in sleeve to be worked top down, without having to seam it into place.

One thing about ribbed or partially ribbed sweaters - they are not attractive when laying flat. And they make one question oneself as to why one would actually make something that looks like this.

But... I did try it on, and it looks better on than it does lying here. But I'm holding off on a final endorsement until it's done, steamed and being worn. Then we'll see...

7 comments:

Needles said...

This is the only sane way to do sleeves.

AlisonH said...

Very nice!

Brendaknits said...

It looks good from the photo. I like the turned hem. Stephanie's instructions for the top down sleeves are great. I had done them before my Slinky Ribs and they were never very attractive. But in that pattern turned out fine.

Carol said...

taps fingers. are you done yet? how does it fit?

Carol said...

taps fingers. are you done yet? how does it fit?

Saren Johnson said...

It looks pretty good so far. You're almost there.

Needles said...

Aw heck, I'm waiting for Carol to ask again!