Tuesday, April 28, 2009

cardigan-a-palooza!

I know I've gone on ad nauseum about how busy I am (I know, it makes me nauseous as well...). And about how stressful it is. But as knitters, I'm sure all of you understand how we deal with stress and craziness. We knit. And, if you're at all like me, we get on a jag with certain types of knits (of course, that may just be me...)

I will always be a sock knitter - I love making them, and I love the wonderful array of sock yarns out there, and I have an unending list of willing recipients for the finished socks.

But lately, it's been all about the sweaters. And, looking at my lifestyle, heavy pullover sweaters, don't cut it. I spend the majority of my time indoors at work, and temperature control is one of the wonders of our time, so heavy pullovers tend to get pt away until we hit on that perfect kind of outdoor day when a jacket is too much, but you need something. And there aren't enough of those days to warrant a whole shelf full of pullovers.

Hence the cardigan. I've hit on cardigans as my new favourite thing to knit. Useful, pretty (most of the time), and fun to knit.

Now, these cardis may all have been finished around the same time, but they were all started at different times, and some have been languishing for quite a while until I got around to finishing them.

But it does make a pretty impressive display!

The Whisper cardigan you've seen, but it fits the theme:
The Kauni you've seen before as well, but again, it fits the theme!
The February Lady Sweater is done! I modified it a bit from the original. I left off the front bands of garter, because originally, I was going to add them on later in black when there was more black on the sweater. But it fits well without the bands, and instead of buttons, I'm using an antique brooch that my Mom gave me.I think it works quite well.

And finally, I got around to putting plain black bands on the black cardigan. This looks better in person than in pictures - the grey alpaca bottom and sleeve bands add a nice touch - some softness and texture. I'm still working out a closure on this. I didn't make a buttonhole, and should have, but the joy of knowing how to sew means that I can try a sewn button hole. I'm going to whip up a couple of garter stitch swatches, and get at it with my sewing machine. I'm thinking a nice big grey button here...


So, to celebrate the addition on 4 new cardis to the wardrobe, what did I do?

Cast on for two more, of course...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely most impressive. It's nice to see the FLS on the dress form at last. With all these luscious new sweaters done, I guess now it's going to hit 30C any day now and stay there!!! :)

Anonymous said...

impressive indeed!
helga

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh I love retrospective kinds of posts - I love seeing the breadth of variation in one knitter's output of a single kind of garment! They're all great - no wonder you're casting on for more!

Saren Johnson said...

I like the black band on February Lady, it really pops. Nice job. What did you cast on for? Or did you mention that? (Your not the only one with a brain turning to mush.)

Needles said...

This is the nicest of all the February Lady sweaters I've seen. It works better without the front band. It suits the light airy lace. Very very nice.

Great (and lucky) modifications.

Brenda said...

Wow! That is quite a collection. Very nice - all of them. Do yo have a favourite?

Carol said...

very nice cardi's. I am resisting kauni as I type. My queue is long enough. Really. No. Really. Argh....