Friday, September 14, 2012

a few more Kitchener notes...

Stuff I forgot to mention...

I brought my two Tanis Suncrest shawls - the finished one in two colours of alpaca and silk, and the Koigu one in progress. (It was in progress at the time, it's done now...) I showed Tanis the alpaca and silk one, and she gushed over it. (Isn't it an ego boost to have a designer LOVE how you have interpreted her design?) She said it has inspired her to make a two colour one herself. (she may have been blowing smoke, but she really seemed sincere, and I appreciate the personal touch of a busy designer, who is also manning a busy booth.)

I did miss a couple of vendors - The Purple Purl wasn't there, nor was TurtlePurl, whose sock yarn I was lusting for! I noticed it was a little more crowded, but less vendors - I think they had to add a lot of space for sitting. I hoe when they move to the Aud next year, a lot more vendors are there - I love this fair for the ambiance, but also for the access to independent dyers that are not readily available in stores. Every time I looked at the Indigodragonfy booth, it was packed, so I never really got a chance to look around.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also found it more crowded and I thought there were fewer vendors. But the cards about next year's venue indicated that there were 70 vendors in 2011. If you check the vendor location diagram there seem to be over 100. I think that a partition wall was removed, giving the illusion that there were fewer vendors. I also couldn't get into some booths, and some were daunting when you saw the lineup to pay. I missed Philosophers Wool and the Purple Purl. There were some interesting boutique booths.
Had a great time. Marlyce in Windsor

Needles said...

If I stay working full time, this fair might just be one of the things worth flying for.

Karen said...

An insider told me that there was a change in the insurance requirements for vendors (nothing the organizers had control over -- they basically had to deal with changes that were imposed on them), so that may have affected whether some vendors could attend or not.