Wednesday, September 10, 2008

ow, ow, OW!

If you're at all squeamish look away now. Actually, to make it more palatable, I've done the diagram thing rather than a real life picture. My son came running up to greet me the other day - he had running shoes on - me, my ever-present flip flops. His shoe caught the top of my big toe nail. And snapped it back. The black part shown below is the part that has detached itself around the edges. It's like a floating piece of nail. (the orangey colour is the chrome copper nail polish I will live with for a while - no nail polish remover is getting near this toe!)Yeah, there was some pain at the time. Still is at times. My son felt horrible at the time, now he thinks it's funny when I walk funny.

The problem I'm running into is the weather - I have the toe bandaged to protect it somewhat, but closed toe shoes are not an option at the moment. Now, I would live in flip flops, given the choice, but the cooler mornings are starting, and my work clothes are getting a little less casual as the weather changes, so I'm going to have to get creative. I'm hoping for a serious bout of Indian Summer so I can stretch the sandal wearing a little longer...

10 comments:

katrynka said...

Sandy, I TOTALLY feel your pain! The same happened to me years ago. I am a pediatric physical therapist. I was walking backwards, holding the hands of a 10 year old girl who was walking towards me. He tennis shoe caught under the front of my toenail... it was lifted up back to the cuticle. I quickly held it down, and then was on my way to the doctor! I was in my mid twenties at the time. And people filled my head with "they will pull it off". So, when the doctor came in, I told her "DO NOT TOUCH ME! Tell me EXACTLY what you are going to do before you touch me!!" Not one of my prouder moments! But it eventually all came out fine.

Anonymous said...

Ooooch! Ooooch! At least with the weather still decent, your toes can be out in the air. I remember breaking a toe and it was cold out. Few shoe choices were available to me, as my foot was swollen for a long time. No nice shoes could be worn - too narrow.

Needles said...

owie.

Saren Johnson said...

OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!! (And thank you for the non-icky picture.)

Anonymous said...

Ouch - Ouch - Ouch !!!
Having had a recent run-in with my garden shovel and my big toe - I feel your pain. Trust it won't slow you down in Kitchener!

CatBookMom said...

OW! OW! Much sympathy - and yeah, I seriously hope you don't have trouble at Kitchener. Bandaging toes is difficult, as I learned when I got a black nail from my first 10K AIDS walk. But that wasn't very painful, especially after the doctor 'drilled' it (said I could have done it with a darning needle!) to let out the accumulated blood.

The drugstore should have some foam tubes of cushioning material which will help keep it from getting banged around. BTW, love the toe rings!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Memories of losing the rest of my toenail a week after I dropped a can on my toe, right before a trip--you have my great sympathies!

Anonymous said...

uuuuuuuh, oooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuch!
i know the pain!
i found that birkenstocks work in these situations.
helga

deirdre said...

Oh, I'm all curled up in a ball, feeling your pain, squishy inside - man, that hurts!

Hopefully you'll still be able to walk as much as you need to on Saturday?? I'll be looking for your yellow messenger bag...

Carol said...

I second the Birkenstock -type sandal. it's a bit more "formal" than flip flops. Hope it heals up soon,