Monday, September 15, 2008

4.19 am

I don't care who you are, when your phone rings at 4.19am, it's never a good thing. That was our Sunday morning wake up. It was the alarm company, notifying Husband of an alarm at his office. Now, we have the office alarm because 6 months ago, someone broke in and ripped off all his computers and other equipment. Not looking for a repeat performance, Husband took off to the office to see what was going on. Of course, going back to sleep was not an option for me - my adrenaline was pumping a bit. So I got up, made some coffee and waited. Husband returned by just before 6am, and luckily, it was a false alarm. But still. So, back to bed to try and grab a couple more hours before my son woke up. I'm loving the fact that he is growing up - it was close to 9am before he woke up!

This was all the day after the Kitchener Knitters Fair, so my weekend was definitely a roller coaster ride! The high of Kitchener, the low of the knee pain I endured after all that walking around, the high of looking at the great yarn I bought, the low of the 4.19am phone call, the high of the false alarm, the low of the rest day, functioning on a broken sleep.
Speaking of Kitchener, what a great way to spend a rainy Saturday. Our bus left around 8am, and we arrived at the Fair just after 10am. I met Lucky, who had arrived earlier. We shopped, talked, ate our picnic lunch, shopped some more, talked some more. Lucky left, and I shopped some more and well, more. We left around 4pm, well shopped out, and the bus ride back was a whirlwind of Show and Tell. Seeing who bought what, and where they bought it, and why didn't I buy some when I saw it...
But I did buy.
Headwater Wools - great value. 2 sweater's worth - the green possibly for Manon, the black - a simple top down raglan cardigan. Beige Australian Merino - I missed this until the very end - 10 ball bag - $4.69 a ball. Okay, but then there was a 50% discount! So, even better! I have to thank Linda for finding this - she got a bag of red!
Dye-Version's Silver yarn. Slated for a scarf for my Mom. This had a little sparkle in in from the STERLING SILVER plied into it! Too cool! Bamboo sock yarn from Mary Maxim. Mary Maxim! The home of acrylic yarn and picture sweaters! They've changed a bit... Elsbeth Lavold Silky wool - 6 hanks in a heathery blue - a little short for a sweater, but I have 4 hanks of a beautiful brown in Silky wool that will coordinate perfectly for another cardigan. 5 balls of Fibernatura Oak - a merino, linen, and silk blend - 40% off at the Purple Purl. Not sure what this will become, but I'm looking forward to using it. And my favourite - a skein of Tilli Tomas green silk with beads, and a skein of Tilli Tomas green silk/seacell blend. This will become a woven scarf - similar to the black one I wove with the sequined Tilli Tomas I bought at the Knitters Frolic in April.
I also bought some DPN tubes, but then I cut the groove into them to make them into sock in progress holders. This bag of 4 holders cost $6, the bag of 2 sock in progress holders was $9.50! 5 minutes with an exacto knife and I ended up with double the quantity for almost 2/3 the price.

I almost bought another needle felting kit, but wisely decided against it. I have not even touched the two kits I presently own!

I did spend a little of other people's money - I pretty much forced Linda to buy some fabulouse stuff at Yarns Plus - that grey/purple blend will be stunning! SPending other people's money is almost as fun as spending my own...

I did miss meeting some people I wanted to meet - Dierdre, where were you? And there were some others. I think having it in two rooms made it more diffiuclt to run into people, but it did make getting around a lot easier - the aisles were not nearly as crowded. All in all - a success. I can't wait until next year!

10 comments:

deirdre said...

I looked everywhere for you and your yellow messenger bag - my mom and I got there around 11, wandered, shopped, drooled till maybe 1 - love the stuff you bought, I was sorely tempted by the sterling silver yarn but fought the urge - and spent the $$ elsewhere...

we'll just have to keep going to events and buying yarn, is all...

and isn't it blissful when your kids finally start sleeping in?? Some mornings I can have quiet till 10!

Carol said...

Just colour me jealous. I am not going to book work next year. I am soooo, going....

Carol said...

Just colour me jealous. I am not going to book work next year. I am soooo, going....

Philosophical Karen said...

Do you by any chance still have your map of the vendors? Is Headwater Wools the booth with husband and wife proprietors who had slightly Russian-sounding accents? I got my much sought-after (by me) mohair from them. The yarn I got is made in Latvia, and another lady I was talking to on Ravelry was talking about her wool she got from "the Latvian booth". We're trying to figure out who they were, and someone else suggested Headwater Wools.

CatBookMom said...

Gorgeous yarn haul!! So glad that the break-in alarm was a non-event, even if it did mess up your sleep. Friday night, when our knitting group arrived at the home where we were meeting, our hostess was on the phone to report being burgled; both her and her DD's laptops were missing, with some nearly-irreplaceable data on both. She discovered it when she got home from work. Shivers!

Anonymous said...

Oh I am such a dope!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the DPN WIP holders and choked over the price - but never thought about just cutting a slice in the plain DPN holders.
What a dope!!!!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Oh I am such a dope!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the DPN WIP holders and choked over the price - but never thought about just cutting a slice in the plain DPN holders.
What a dope!!!!
Nancy

Sel and Poivre said...

Its a satisfying haul to read about - it must be fabulous actually own!

Needles said...

Nice haul. Seriously fine. I am so very glad I have no local festivals. It's hard enough to make it through a day at the store, much less all the vendors.

Anonymous said...

To Karen: Laura of Headwater Wools is a Russian designer so I think that is the person you are thinking of.

To Sandra: I love your purchases, especially the green silk with the beads - "Rock Star" I think it is called. Amazing stuff. I'm bummed that I didn't win the scrapbooking bus prize but other than that, an amazing time was had by all. You all gotta come with us next year.