Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Well, THAT was annoying! I had a post all ready to go - I wrote it last night, and it's gone. Not sure what happened, and I hope it is not a portent for the year.

Ah, a New Year. Now, I'm not a resolution-type chick. My feeling is if you want to change something in your life, why wait until the first of the year? If you want change, then change when the feeling comes upon you. So there will be no 2008 resolutions from me. As far as 2007 - it was good. I have a happy, healthy family, a roof over our heads and food available for us to eat. We probably have too much stuff under that roof, and are in the process of reducing it - old toys are going to a friend who runs a daycare, Goodwill is the constant recipient of many a bag of clothes. MSF gets their cheque so they can continue doing what they do best.

I had a little time off over the last two weeks - not enough (it never is), but I did get to spend time with extended family and friends, and that's important. I also acquainted myself with my new sewing machine, and I have to say, the Hubby did good. He did all his own research as far as finding the best machine to buy, and whatever he did, he did well. I love it, and spent some quality time with it:

a red and gold houndstooth skirt - pencil slim and mid calf length. I'm thinking some Butter Pecan Main Line from Knit Picks for a matching sweater...
Another skirt - this time a wool blend dark grey plaid - the gold, coral and sage green stripes are not as bright as they appear here. I have some nice dark grey Briggs and Little that might work with this...

I also came across a stash of Red linen-type napkins, as well as some Christmas themed ones. So I got a head start on wrapping for next year, and started making up some reusable gift bags:

(two 14 inch square napkins each, and a foray into my lace trim stash).

The best surprise regarding this project? I looked in my fabric stash, and found a whole WHACK of Christmas themed fabrics, so I hauled it out. I guess I had this reusable bag idea before, because there were over 20 half done bags already there! They just need some drawstrings and trim, and we're good to go! Next Christmas will be very green indeed...

I did some knitting as well, but that will have to wait until tomorrow - I'm typing this at work, and should probably quit while I'm ahead...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those skirts are da bomb! I love those plaid skirts. Yes, Main Line is a very neat yarn and the Butter Pecan (I have one ball) would look super with the one skirt. I'm knitting the Puff Sleeved Cardigan with my Main Line anyway, gauge be damned and it's a dream to work up. Well done on the sewing front. I still have to hem my plaid skirt. It's a Mad Plaid New Year!

Carol said...

If you are looking for a charity that doesn't re-sell old clothes, women's shelters will take women's and kids stuff and household stuff too. Not just clothes. I donated a whole bunch of kitchen stuff last time I cleaned out my cupboards!

Needles said...

Looks like someone has been really enjoying their Christmas gift. I opened the door to the fabric cupboard and was appalled at how much is in there, and how old it is. And I really could use the casual clothes too.

I picked up some Knit Picks yarn this fall. In fact I am wearing some Knit Picks socks today. I'm very impressed with their stuff. Very pleased.