Wednesday, January 10, 2007

a "pair" of socks

Wow. This post was all written yesterday and ready to go with the exception of the pictures. Then Blogger started acting funny, so I did something I almost never do. I copied this post and dropped it into Word. Yes, I actually backed something up. Right before Blogger went offline! That is so unlike me. I’m the one usually running around pulling my hair out right after a power surge or outage, screaming about losing my 4,000 line, eleventy million formula-ed spreadsheet. (And, yes, I use eleventy million formulae in some of my spreadsheets – I’m a sales analyst after all). But I backed this up – how cool is that? I don’t have to rewrite or reload the pictures!
Work update – two senior people quit yesterday – the chief idiot is out of town for two weeks. Hmmm, wonder about that timing. Unfortunately, I was not one of the two, but there is a small glimmer – one of them may be helping me out of here. One quit directly because of the chief idiot, the other has family issues, but is also not enamoured of the chief idiot.

Well, I have finished a pair of socks - now I need to make another pair exactly the same!


The top sock is for Hubby - KnitPicks Sock Memories, Cape Cod Colourway. My standard toe up, short row toe and heel, stockinette sock. I use a new (to me) bind off - EZ's stretchy sewn bind off - and it is stretchy!

It has met with the approval of Hubby, who after all, is the guy wearing them!
THe STR for me - well, what can I say? I love this yarn. Ive made a pair before for Hubby, and they are his favourite hand knits. Now I know why - this stuff, well, it rocks! (D'uh!) If you get the opportunity to get some, do it. It's a bit dear here in Canada, and not easy to get one's hands on - looks like online shopping...
I use the same toe up, short row toe and heel pattern, but I put a hemmed picot edge on my socks, rather than ribbing.

I leave the stitches live and sew them directly to the inside of the sock – this creates a nice smooth join. And yes, they do stay up.

Off the make another pair – both have been cast on – the Cape Cod sits near my chair in the kitchen/family room and the STR is my travel sock – it comes to work with me, and is in my car for traffic jams, etc. I alternate working on these, and should have the second “pair” done soon…
The melon scarf (anyone got a better name for this, yet?) is on hold while I finish the socks. This virus had knocked anything but stockinette out of me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crossing my fingers and hoping the job thing looks good! As for the socks..beautfiful, of course. Can't beat the STR for the smooth feeling.

Melon scarf...How about 'When-it's-finished-I'll-have-a-new-job scarf'?

Anonymous said...

Okay, what's the STR? It looks amazing. I feel a shopping trip coming on. The picot edge makes it feminine without being fussy - gotta try it.

Anonymous said...

Love the socks, especially the ones with the picot edge.

You're a LITTLE pissed about your SIL not thanking you for Icarus? I am HUGELY pissed on your behalf! It has been almost three weeks since Christmas and she can't even pick up the phone?!?!?!?! That is unforgivable. Strike her off the list, big time! (Sorry, I'm feeling a little transferrence of my Waterfall Quilt angst from "The Princess" resurfacing again - I'll try to rebury it ;)

By the way, I see I am a "Frappacino". I am "Fun loving, sweet and modern, but also childish and over-indulgent". "I drink coffee when I am craving something sweet" - that part is too true. It does say that my caffeine addiction level is low - which is totally false. I almost booked a doctor's appointment after feeling completely rundown for a couple of weeks, only to discover that I had mistakenly switched to decaf!