Friday, October 13, 2006

eye candy Friday, and other things...




The last time DS and I were at the Zoo, we went into one of the rainforest exhibits. DS is learning to use the digital camera, and snapped this. OK, I'm his Mom, but really, for a 7 year old, this is pretty good!

An FO! An FO! Another one for the Christmas gift box! These are for my 22 yrs old nephew (Actually, I think he's closer to 24, now. I've been calling him 22 for a few years now...) Anyway, he's a jazz musician/dancer/actor, and really appreciates the hand knits. He'll love the brightness of these socks, along with the unexpected shots of brown. Plus, he's getting a hat with the comedy/tragedy masks of the theatre as well. As well as money. He always needs money.



Well, Mom is having her surgery on Monday, so I'm off to spend the day in the hospital waiting room. There's a bonus to being a knitter - waiting rooms don't really bother me. I will be well stocked - Icarus shawl, All-but-forgotten-just-after-I-cast-it-on alpaca shawl, and socks. Always socks. Plus some water, snacks and I'm set for a few hours.
Thanks for all the good wishes for my Mom - this shouldn't be too much of an ordeal, and she should come through with flying colours, better than ever. She needs to. She loves to walk, and this arterial blockage is curtailing her ability to do so. Plus, as she says "there are grandchildren to play with!" You bet there are, Mom, and they will be waiting for you when this is all over and done with.
Once the surgery is done, she'll be in hospital for a week or so - I've arranged as many visitors as she is up to - People will be calling her to talk, or dropping by if she wants them to. (Mom is Quebecois French - she HAS to talk. Alot. and often.) Once she's home, I will disappear from here (and work) again for a few days to stay with her and do what's needed. There's a few more good knitting days while we sit together and talk. (always with the talking...)
So, if I'm scarce over the next little while, you know why. When I get back, I hope to have a whole whack of FO's to show.
(Just how big is a whack, anyway? I've always wondered that...)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe that a 'whack' is more than a 'bunch' but a few less than an 'assload'.

Best wishes to your mom!! And it has been my experience that the Quebecois French also speak loudly. I think that it may be genetic, but I have never know them to whisper. LOL

Sandra said...

Wannietta,
you nailed my mom exactly - whispering is a totally alien concept to her. As is silence!

Assload... snort! love it...

Anonymous said...

best of luck to you and your MOM unexpected knitting time is always charished.

Anonymous said...

Hi, since you mentioned about liking to get comments, I thought that I would write again! You so kindly emailed me about the beaded stitch markers... I have not had time to make any, but I will! I have had time to begin to learn to knit lace!! The feather and fan pattern.. I had a class wednesday, and have completed two "homework"s thus far, waiting to learn the 3 needle bind off this week!

I hope that your Mom does well, and you get a lot of knitting done!

Anonymous said...

Sending my prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery to your Mom and the rest of your family.